- GRADE 12
- ONLINE PROGRAMS
English Eligibility for Grades 7 to 11
Since 1977, in Quebec, all children, except those who meet specific criteria, must be educated in French until the end of their secondary studies, whether in a public school or in a subsidized private school. The Sacred Heart School of Montreal is a subsidized private English high school. Except for certain exceptions (mentioned below), students require a Certificate of Eligibility for English Language Education to attend grade 7 to 11 at Sacred Heart.
A Certificate of English Eligibility is NOT required for the grade 12 program at Sacred Heart.
Can My Daughter Receive a Certificate of Eligibility?
Generally, yes, if:
- She did most of her elementary or secondary studies in English in Canada; or
- Her brother or sister did most of his/her elementary or secondary studies in English in Canada; or
- Her father or mother did most of his/her elementary studies in English in Canada; or
- Her father or mother attended school in Quebec after August 26, 1977 and could have been declared eligible for instruction in English at that time.
The certificate of eligibility for instruction in English is permanent. In other words, there is no time limit after which it expires. When a child is declared eligible to receive instruction in English, his or her brothers and sisters may also be declared eligible.
Can My Daughter Have a Temporary Authorization?
Generally, yes, if:
- she, her father or her mother is living in Quebec temporarily to study or work.
The temporary authorization to receive instruction in English is delivered to the child and is valid for the same period as the immigration document issued to the parent or child or for the duration of the temporary stay.
A temporary authorization to receive instruction in English may be renewed provided that the applicant still meets the same criteria as in his or her first application.
IMPORTANT: Temporary authorization cannot be granted to the children of foreign nationals who choose to settle in Quebec on a permanent basis and obtain a Quebec Selection Certificate (CSQ).
How Do I Obtain the Certificate of Eligibility/Temporary Authorization for My Daughter?
To have a child declared eligible to receive instruction in English, the parent or legal guardian of the child must apply to the school board or private school where he or she wishes to enroll the child. For more information, please contact Enrolment Management Coordinator Stephanie Broadhurst:
- by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- by phoning the school at +1(514)937-2845 ext. 114