SCHOOL HISTORY

Our History in Brief

The Society of the Sacred Heart was founded in 1800 by Saint Madeleine Sophie Barat and The Sacred Heart School of Montreal is a member of the worldwide network of Sacred Heart Schools. Each school has the same five goals that govern our mission and guide our educational philosophy.

From its inception, the Society of the Sacred Heart opened its doors to any girl, regardless of circumstance, who desired a Sacred Heart education. Moreover, unlike most advocates of girls’ education in the early nineteenth century, Sophie did not see her mission solely in terms of preparing young women either to be good wives and mothers or to enter a religious congregation. Her schools were rooted in a much broader vision: to deliver an education that would inspire young women to be agents of social transformation in their own times. Today, our school prides itself on its commitment to social justice and empowering young women to take their place in an ever-changing world.

Our current home on Atwater Ave., is the sixth home of the school since its inception in 1861. City House, as it is fondly known, is a building rich in history and equipped for the modern student. Rooted in tradition, but always evolving, The Sacred Heart School of Montreal aims to instil the values that Saint Madeleine Sophie so valued all the while promoting creative education and leadership framed by the five goals of a Sacred Heart education. The truly international character of a Sacred Heart School aids in fostering a global education and citizenship in our girls.

The Sacred Heart School of Montreal has undergone many changes since it opened its doors on Atwater Ave., in 1928. Although things may look different than they did eighty-six years ago, the same warm, welcoming environment is contagious the minute you step foot inside its doors.