PHILOSOPHY & GOALS
“For the sake of one child…”
Like all Sacred Heart schools around the world, our school is committed to the legacy of our foundress, Saint Madeleine Sophie Barat. Our philosophy and goals reflect the uniqueness of a Sacred Heart education and the strong bond among Sacred Heart schools worldwide. Our mission is to nurture the mind, body and spirit of each student in a supportive and caring environment.
The Sacred Heart School of Montreal commits to educate:
A personal and active faith in God:
- The school seeks to form positive attitudes of respect, compassion, forgiveness and generosity in every student.
- The school fosters inter-religious acceptance and dialogue by educating to an understanding of and deep respect for the religions of the world.
- Members of the entire school community have the opportunity to engage in personal and communal prayer, reflection and community service.
A deep respect for intellectual values:
- The school provides a rigorous education that incorporates all forms of critical thinking and inspires a life-long love of learning.
- The curriculum develops aesthetic values and the creative use of the imagination.
- The faculty utilizes a variety of teaching strategies that recognize the individual needs of every student.
- Members of the school community model and teach ethical and respectful use of all learning resources, both written and electronic.
A social awareness which impels to action:
- In our multicultural world, our school prepares and inspires students, faculty and staff to be active, informed and responsible citizens, locally, nationally and globally.
- The school educates to a critical consciousness that encourages the entire Sacred Heart community to analyze and reflect on the values of society and act for justice.
- The school offers numerous opportunities for community service and advocacy and instills a life-long commitment to service.
- The school teaches respect for creation and prepares students to be stewards of the earth’s resources.
The building of community as a Christian value:
- The school promotes a safe and welcoming environment in which each person is valued, cared for and respected.
- The school has programmes that teach the principles of nonviolence, conflict resolution and peacemaking.
- The school participates actively in the national and international networks of Sacred Heart schools.
Personal growth in an atmosphere of wise freedom:
- All members of the school community show respect, acceptance and concern for themselves and others.
- School policies and practices that include an anti-bullying policy promote self-discipline, responsible decision-making and accountability
- School programmes provide for recognizing, nurturing and exercising leadership in its many forms.
- The school provides opportunities for all members of the community to share their knowledge and gifts with others.